ADVENTURE CAMPS 2018 - WEEK 3
Playmakers: Playground design for parkour
CROWN HILL CENTER
9 AM - 4 PM
Ever dream of designing your own parkour playground?
Sure, parkour teaches you that your playground is the city, but what about designing the city and spaces for play? In this camp, we will not only practice and improve our parkour skills, but learn the basics of parkour park and playground design! During this week, we will:
- Explore the history of playground design
- Learn basic structural & architectural design concepts
- Communicate ideas through drawing plans and perspectives and develop design thinking skills
- Build scale models of new designs
- Improve public speaking through presenting designs to each other and providing constructive critique
On the last day, the kids will work as a team using our modular playground set to design and build a real playground! This course is lead in partnership with our very own Director of Design, and parkour-playground guru, Colin MacDonald
"Because a playground doesn’t have to cost a million bucks and come in a box. In fact, it’s better if it doesn’t"
MEET YOUR INSTRUCTORS
In addition to being a parkour practitioner, Caitlin has been designing and building pop-up playgrounds in the tri-state area for the last 6 years, bringing to life over 36 temporary playground installations, as well as indoor gyms designs, art sculpture, and creative staging. She was professionally trained as an architect and worked for the NYC Dept of Parks & Rec for 5 years overseeing design and construction on parkland. She believes in the power of design to change the world!